Sunday, May 4, 2008

Limited Resources Management


This past month, I’ve been reviewing my current finances as I begin planning the next period in my life. As I prepare to make more educational investments (investments I hope help position me for a long and productive career), I’m forced to question how much income I want to pour into projects which are very important to me, but ancillary to my intended career path.

The world of digital photography does not stand still. I’m currently in the quandary-inducing position of debating whether to put my limited resources towards better and/or more versatile equipment, to invest in further photography education, or to seek out and pay some models to build a better portfolio. At the current time, I do not have the funds for all three endeavors.

What is somewhat frustrating is the fact that if I had enough funding for any two of the three options, I could use my work from the two to assist in funding the third. In other words, if I could hire models while taking more photography classes, my skills would improve (through the active experiences of working) enough that I could attempt to start selling my work. As I make sales, I could get better equipment.

At this stage, I am likely to invest in further education first. Hopefully my potential classmates will be in similar situations and open to collaborations.

No comments: