Monday, June 4, 2007

New Book I'm Currently Reading


There is another book that I’m currently working my way through, during my transit times on the subway and buses. Continuing my current practice of pairing one book of fun reading with another from an academic/scientific allows me to continuing the learning process beyond university education and expand my knowledge base, while still allowing me to enjoy the process of reading.

In the Theater of Consciousness: The Workspace of the Mind, was published in 1996 by Bernard J. Baars. Baars currently works at The Neurosciences Institute in San Diego, California. The following descriptive quote is from the Barnes & Noble.com website, and is attributed to the publisher:

Written by eminent psychologist Bernard J. Baars, this book brings us to the frontlines of the consciousness debate, offering the general reader a fascinating overview of how top scientists currently understand the processes underlying conscious experience. The study of conscious experience has seen remarkable strides in the last ten years, reflecting important technological breakthroughs and the enormous efforts of researchers in disciplines as varied as neuroscience, cognitive science, and philosophy. Scientists are just now beginning to find common ground in their understanding of consciousness, which may pave the way for a unified explanation of how and why we experience and understand the world around us. This book offers an invaluable introduction to the field, brilliantly weaving together the various theories that have emerged as scientists continue their quest to uncover the profound mysteries of the mind--and of human nature itself.

I am taking copious notes and comments as I work my way through the text. When I reach the halfway point, I will begin uploading a summary/commentary section to the General Writing section of the website. When I have completed my reading, I will begin directly addressing the topic of consciousness and some other related psychological topics.


References

Baars, B. J. (. (1997). In the theater of consciousness: The workspace of the mind. New York, NY, US: Oxford University Press.

No comments: