Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Genes & Behavior: True linkage?


How much of you is your genes? Is all you are the mere expression of your genetic code?

I wonder if people really believe that all their potential thoughts and actions are merely byproducts of a genetic imperative to propagate. Is it just me, or does that seem like a vast oversimplification? Can everything I do be explained away by the simple desire to survive long enough to see my genes spread to the next generation? If so, how can behavior be explained for those who do not propagate? Do we really believe that my genes know that my relatives’ genes will propagate in my place? What if they don’t?

Even more troubling, how on earth can intelligent people believe genes know or understand anything? If a particular piece of genetic code does not know if it has been replicated, how on earth could a collection of genes know? Consequently, how could genes have any direct effect on behavior at all?


I don’t have any answers for you. I’m not even really making an argument. I’m just dissatisfied with hearing that it is my genes that make me who I am, when no one has explained to me yet how that is even feasible.

No comments: